Board of Directors
EDCI has an active governing body—the Board of Directors. The Board is responsible for setting our mission and strategic direction, and overseeing the finances, operations and policies of EDCI. The governing body:
- Ensures that all Directors understand and fulfill their governance duties acting for the benefit of EDCI and its public purpose.
- Ensures that EDCI conducts all transactions and dealings with integrity and honesty.
- Ensures that all Directors have the requisite skills and experience to carry out their duties.
- Provides credible and effective oversight to EDCI’s work.
- Complies with applicable federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Has a Conflict of Interest policy to ensure that any conflicts of interest, or the appearance thereof, are avoided or appropriately managed through disclosure, recusal or other means.
- Is responsible for monitoring the performance of the Executive Director.
- Respects the confidentiality of sensitive information about our donors, constituents, employees and guests.
- Ensures that EDCI promotes working relationships among Directors, employees, volunteers, and program beneficiaries that are based on mutual respect, fairness, and openness.
- Ensures that EDCI is fair and inclusive in its hiring and promotion policies and practices for all employees and volunteer positions.
- Ensures that important EDCI policies are in writing, clearly articulated and officially adopted.
- Ensures that EDCI’s resources are responsibly and prudently managed.
- Ensures that EDCI has the capacity to carry out its programs effectively.
Laura Lewis, President
Laura Lewis (twin sister of Lauren Lewis) graduated magna cum laude from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County with a B.S. in Psychology and minor in Biologicial Sciences. She began as an intern for the EDCI during her junior year of college assisting with a project to dematerialize the organization's legal and corporate documents. After one year, Laura applied to and was elected Secretary of the Executive Board. One year and one Outstanding Performance award later in 2017, she was promoted to President of the EDCI due to her strong success with fundraising efforts, demonstration of strategizing and collaboration skills, and exemplary work ethic. Laura is committed to bringing continued growth and success to the EDCI by drawing on her natural leadership abilites and various experiences in community service. She continues to work closely with the founders, E Diane Champe' and Suzanne Sweeney, to ensure that their distinct vision for the organization is realized.
Tatiana Figueroa Ramirez, Secretary/Fundraising Chair
Tatiana Figueroa Ramirez is an Afroboricua poet who has made it her mission to empower the voices of marginalized and underrepresented people through her work with non-profits, community events, and the arts on an international level. With over 10 years of experience in helping her surrounding communities, Tatiana has served as a volunteer, Program Director, and now as Secretary/Fundraising Chair of the E. Diane Champe Institute. She holds a B.A. in English Literature and a minor in American Studies from the University of Maryland, Baltimore County and is a VONA/Voices Alumna, having worked with award-winning poets Willie Perdomo and Danez Smith. As a Board member of the EDCI, Tatiana aims to continue her mission by supporting and empowering survivors of child abuse to help the community heal, but to also help their voices be heard.
Lauren Lewis, Public Relations Chair
Lauren Lewis (twin sister of Laura Lewis) is a graduate of Anne Arundel Community College. She earned her Associate of Arts degree in Transfer Studies. Her certifications and training include Group Communications and Leadership, Principles of Management, and Computing and Information Technology. She spent seven years working at a Christian Academy afterschool program. Lauren has excellent mediation and customer service skills having worked with diverse, multicultural populations in her past experience as a Team Lead at HealthStream. She is currently working toward finishing her four-year degree in Psychology, after which she plans to pursue a career in Finance.
Board Member Qualifications and Application
Serving on the Board of Directors is a big commitment and should be considered carefully before submitting an application. Without our oversight of organizational accountability, transparency, and sustainability planning, EDCI would not be able to provide this much needed service to our guests.
Read more ...